Fill in the Blank #1
So just for a change of pace, I thought I’d do a “fill in the blank” post. Just because…
1. The best thing about being in school was/is seeing all my friends every day and in college (and particularly graduate school) being able to study exactly what I wanted to. Especially when it came to linguistics–never did I think I’d find a field that would combine both sides of my brain (the artistic, creative side that loves language, with the scientific and logical side that loves math and science.
2. The worst thing about being in school was/is the angst… I hated the feeling of wanting to fit in, yet trying to be different. Wondering if I was thin enough, pretty enough, smart enough, was my hair too frizzy, does he “like” me, etc… I would NEVER go back to high school. Even though I actually liked it while I was there.
3. My favorite subject in school was/is English. I was a bookworm to the max! I would literally bring books to the dinner table. Mr Poppers Penguins was the best!
4. One subject I wish I could have mastered/would like to master is Phonology. It was tough, but probably the single most fascinating course I’ve ever taken.
5. I could never get tired of studying Discourse Analysis or Language Policy.
6. The most memorable teacher I had was Dr. Boxer. And thankfully for good reasons.
7. If I could choose between going to school for the rest of my life or working for the rest of my life, I’d choose This is a tough one. I’d LOVE to go back to school–I think. I loved studying linguistics! But I think I’d probably have to say “work”. I actually like what I do most days! If this question were work or start my own company the answer would be verrrry different.